What to Consider When Choosing a Disability Claims Attorney
Many attorneys practice disability law, but to give your claim the best chance of succeeding it is important to work with an attorney who has experience practicing veterans disability law.
A good veterans disability attorney will have the legal knowledge and experience to go toe to toe with the VA to get you the compensation you deserve. They will be able to help you gather evidence that supports your claim, understand the stress you are dealing with and will be there to guide you through your case, keeping you up to date on your what is happening.
Questions to Ask Potential VA Disability Attorneys
Figuring out where to turn to get help challenging the VA can be a challenge. It’s important to have an attorney who has experience dealing in VA matters and who will ardently represent your interests. You can use the following questions to help you make choose a lawyer for your VA disability claim:
- Are you a VA-accredited attorney?
- How long have you been practicing veterans law?
- When did you last attend veterans law training?
- Do you have experience handling cases like mine?
- What kind of outcomes have you helped your clients achieve?
- What are the potential strengths and weaknesses of my claim?
- Will you be able to help me find independent medical examiners?
- Do you consult with doctors that are familiar with cases like mine on a regular basis?
- How will you help me get the earliest effective date possible for my benefits?
- How will you be able to help me achieve the highest possible rating for my disability?
- Will you represent me all the way through my appeal? (meaning, all the way up through the Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims)
- Are you admitted to practice before the CAVC? (for CAVC cases only)
Legal Guidance and Transparency
Beyond helping you recover damages for your injury, an experienced VA disability attorney also understands that you will have questions about the legal process and are hungry for information about your case.
A good attorney will be empathetic to the challenges you are facing and will have the human experience, skills, and patience necessary to help you understand your case.
Too many people feel as though they are just another number on their lawyer’s desk. At our firm, we believe that your experience with our team is just as important as the results we obtain for you.
You should feel confident about your claim. You should never feel in the dark about what is happening. We do our best to keep you informed about the various phases of litigation and encourage you to call us with questions at any point from start to finish.
The Ability to Help You Get an Independent Medical exam
Getting the medical opinion of a doctor that is not on the VA’s payroll is on one of the most beneficial things you can do to support your case.
Because of how advantageous a supporting medical examination can be to your case, organizing meeting between you and a medical professional outside of the VA’s operating circle should be a priority for whatever attorney or law firm you end up choosing to represent you.
The VA has many resources to help them build a case against you. Regardless if you are dealing with a physical disability or a mental impairment, the opinion of an experienced medical professional will go a long way in helping you tip the scales in your favor.
Work with an Experienced Veterans Disability Attorney
If you are struggling with a VA disability appeal, we would like to help. Our attorneys have the legal knowledge and experience to help you achieve the legal outcome. Many of us are veterans and understand the strain you are going through.
If you would like more information about how the Veterans Law Group and how we can help your case, call us today to set a free consultation.