An Overview of Special Monthly Compensation for Severely Disabled Veterans

As an injured veteran, you are afforded a disability compensation if you’re injured or become ill during your time of service in the military. But, if you lost a limb, your sight or hearing, you could be eligible to receive the Special Monthly Compensation benefit, which is paid in addition to the monthly disability payment.

This compensation can be paid to you as the veteran, your spouse, your surviving spouse or your parents. It’s sometimes referred to as “aid and attendance” when paid to your spouse, as it’s meant to compensate the care that she provides for you.

However, this monthly compensation is extremely complex and it’s best to retain an attorney with experience in veteran and military law in order to understand the program and determine if you’re eligible.

Qualifying Disabilities for Special Monthly Compensation

There are a few different disabilities that may qualify you to receive this compensation, and they include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Loss of sight
  • Loss of limb
  • Loss of hearing
  • Loss of the use of a reproductive organ
  • Inability to communicate (loss of speech)
  • Loss of a percentage of tissue from both breasts, a single breast, from radiation treatment or a mastectomy

The Department of Veterans’ Affairs will pay a higher rate for those that suffer a combination of these disabilities. There are also higher payouts for a number of combinations of bilateral blindness and severe deafness.

Apply for Special Monthly Compensation

If you feel you qualify for this special monthly compensation, reach out to us today.

Leave a Comment